NAV  University Enterprises Inc.

Learn About UEI’s History

HomeAbout University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI)Learn About UEI’s History

University Enterprises, Inc. was established in 1951 as the Hornet Bookstore Foundation to provide emergency funding for the first Sacramento State College bookstore.

In 1951, California State University, Sacramento was known as Sacramento State College and was housed on the Sacramento City College campus on Freeport Boulevard. Books were purchased from Sacramento City College at that time, but it became evident that Sacramento State College needed its own bookstore, and the Hornet Bookstore Foundation was created. As a private entity, it could move quickly to secure the necessary financing and provide the State College with the badly needed bookstore.

In 1953, Sacramento State College moved to its own campus where the Hornet Bookstore was established. Soon after this move, the Hornet Bookstore Foundation added a food service operation to its list of services and dropped “Bookstore” from its name, becoming the Hornet Foundation.

In 1972, Sacramento State College was renamed California State University, Sacramento. At that time, the campus enjoyed the support of the Hornet Foundation and the support of a separate auxiliary, the Foundation of California State University, Sacramento, which administered research grants and contracts. In 1986 the two foundations were consolidated into one larger, more dynamic nonprofit corporation to provide a variety of services to the Sacramento State campus community and the community at large.

On May 26, 1993, the Hornet Foundation was officially renamed the California State University Sacramento Foundation. This new name gave the Foundation an identity closer to that of the institution, while providing business services, bookstore services, contract services, food services, marketing services, and personnel services.

As the University grew into its leadership role in the region and in California, the need for expanded capabilities, flexibility, and strength prompted the 2005 renaming to University Enterprises, Inc.

Today, University Enterprises, Inc. is the vibrant business arm of the University. In addition to providing legacy services for students and for the campus community, University Enterprises develops and nurtures projects and programs that further the vision and values of the institution.