NAV  University Enterprises Inc.

Human Resources-Supervisor: FAQ

HomeHuman ResourcesSupervisorsSupervisor FAQ

How many hours can a student assistant work per week?

  • Student assistants and graduate assistants may work up to 20 hours per work week during the academic year and up to 40 hours per work week during breaks (winter, spring and summer).
  • International students are limited to 20 hours per work week during the academic year.
  • Recent graduates or graduate student working on their thesis are held to the same number of work hours as all other students. Work hours are to be on average less than 30 hours per work week (Sunday – Saturday). In applying this threshold, student work hours should generally be limited to 20 hours per work week when classes are in session and 40 hours per work week during school.
  • Casual employees are limited to no more than 19.5 hours per work week.

Are student assistants allowed to telecommute or work flexible or alternate work schedules?

Students are not allowed to telecommute or work remotely, e.g., from home, in a campus library or local coffee shop, etc. UEI does not allow alternate work schedules for employees. Students can be scheduled to work under supervision during the regular business hours of the department/project, including special events on weekends and evenings.

How does my student assistant maintain employment eligibility?

All students, including recent graduates, are required to submit a Status Form at the time of hire and at the beginning of each academic term. The Status Form verifies the school they are attending and the number of units the student is enrolled in. All forms are reviewed by UEI Human Resources. If there are any concerns with your student assistant’s enrollment status, you will be contacted. If their status changes during the term, they are required to complete and submit a new online form. Failure to submit the form prior to the start of each academic term or failure to maintain the minimum enrollment requirement for the position may be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination.

My student assistant/is graduating; can they continue to work for me?

Student assistants may maintain employment eligibility for 90 days following the date their degree was awarded. Before the end of this 90 day period, a Separation from Employment form must be submitted along with the final timesheet to UEI’s Payroll Services. Recent graduates are required to submit a Status Form identifying themselves as a recent graduate and provide the date their degree was awarded. International students must have proper clearance to work beyond their graduation date.

I’m having some issues with my student–who should I contact to discuss?

UEI has an experienced Human Resources staff available to assist you with issues related to student conduct and/or performance. Contact our Human Resources department at (916) 278-7003 for assistance.

Are students allowed to drive a company vehicle or their own vehicle for company business?

Yes, if they are over 18 years of age, have a clean driving record and proof of insurance, they can drive. Any student asked to drive for business is required to complete necessary paperwork, provide a copy of their driver’s license and proof of insurance. If the student is driving more than once a week or twelve times a year, they will be required to complete a one (1) hour defensive driving course. Once all required paperwork is completed and submitted to UEI Human Resources, the student will receive an email with a link and instructions to take the online training. Workplace safety information and forms can be found online.

How do I report a work-related accident, injury or illness? 

Instructions for reporting a work related injury/illness for both emergency and non-emergency situations can be found by online. Additional workplace safety information and forms can be found online.

What is the process to separate a student assistant from employment? 

UEI maintains a strict policy of at will employment with respect to both the duration and the terms and conditions of the employment relationship. There are two types of separation from employment actions, voluntary and involuntary, each requiring different procedures.


Voluntary Termination

If an employee resigns, we request the following procedures be followed:

      1. The employee completes and signs section 1 of the Separation from Employment.
      2. The supervisor completes and signs section 2. (Please be sure that the ‘resigned’ box at the top of the form is checked and that the student’s last day worked is accurate).
      3. Fax the form to UEI’s Human Resources Department at (916) 278-4787 or email it to 
      4. The supervisor must also approve the employee’s final timesheet via our online timekeeping system on the employee’s last day.

Involuntary Termination

Before terminating a student assistant, you must call UEI Human Resources at (916) 278-7003 to discuss the nature of the termination and arrange payment of final wages with our HR Specialist prior to discharging the student assistant.

Who is the employer of record?

University Enterprises, Inc. is the employer of record for all employees on our payroll, including student assistants/interns, regardless of work location.

If I am no longer in charge of student assistant hiring, how can I delete my user account?

If you wish to delete your user account, please contact the Human Resources Department at (916) 278-7003 and your account can be deactivated.